Welcome to "Not Your Mother's" Book Club!! We've sifted through book after book after book (you're welcome) to bring you the sauciest, addicting, most riveting books of your life.

Monday, June 11, 2018

One Small Thing by Erin Watt

A perfect summer read.

Did you know I am a huge Erin Watt fan?  If I haven't screamed it from the roof tops enough - hopefully this review will finally get my point across ;)  I almost pee my pants every time I open my kindle and see that I've received an ARC of one of their books.  EVERYTHING they write is amazing - I've never been disappointed!!  Without further ado... your next favorite book:

"One Small Thing" by Erin Watt is a quick read about loss, grief, love, family, control... it touches on a lot of heavy topics in a way that's both frustrating and eloquent.  Beth and her family are grieving the death of her older sister, Rachel, in very different ways.  Trying to control her every move to keep her safe, Beth's parents are suffocating her.

When Beth finally snaps and sneaks out to a party on the wrong side of town, she meets Chase... who has an even bigger secret than Beth's stifling home life.

Chase has demons and guilt by the bucket loads.  But, Beth gives him a second chance when no one else does... and Beth is the one person who has every reason not to give him a second chance.  The two embark on a secret and forbidden romance with everything working against them.

I LOVED Beth.  She's feisty and independent.  Reading her struggles with her parents was flustering and I felt like Erin Watt nailed the feelings of having overprotective parents.  The way EW wrote about grief was new and eye opening.  Everyone grieves differently, and some steps in the grieving process take longer than others.  Seeing how Beth and her family went through the process was eye-opening, sad and thought provoking.  Even though Rachel has been gone for three years, and one would assume their grieving process would be complete, they are still struggling and using all sorts of coping mechanisms to survive each day.

Chase -- what an epic male lead.  His story is heart breaking, from his part in Rachel's death to his current home life and bullying at school.  His need for atonement pulled at every single one of my heart strings.  His journey to finding his personal redemption was my favorite part of the book.

I felt a little cheated with the ending - it happened quickly, and I wanted MORE!!!!  I loved the story - every part to it.  And I'll be rereading One Small Thing many times.

It made me feel grateful and introspective about my life and finding the one small thing that makes every moment great.

Playlist: One Small Thing




No comments:

Post a Comment